SC Engineers served as the Mechanical Engineer of Record for this project which renovated two facilities built in 1957 as well as added three new buildings and support spaces. The facilities house faculty offices as well as lecture and teaching lab space. The project scope included new and upgraded classroom technologies, academic and research laboratories with fume hoods, teaching classrooms, and faculty offices as well as the addition of a new 275-seat lecture hall, a 475-seat auditorium, and a food service facility which includes a convenience store.
Sustainability was at the forefront of design and the project is currently on track for LEED Silver certification. Highly energy efficient design features include variable air and water systems; hybrid natural ventilation systems with indicator panels located in the occupied spaces to inform users of HVAC system operating mode; extensive building envelope energy modeling optimization; VAV terminal units for each room; and extensive chilled water/heating hot water/steam/condensate insulation exceeding Title 24 minimum requirements.